Velvety and rich chocolate cake with just 3 ingredients? It can be done and you don’t even need a mixer. The cake comes out so rich, with a very tender crumb.
I really enjoy baking and even though I like making more complicated cakes and desserts sometimes creating really easy recipes is more satisfying. Making something taste really good without all the work is very rewarding. So, I’ve been experimenting a lot and recently make this 3-ingredient chocolate cake.
I was inspired to make it after I shared my 3-ingredient mug cake. I thought I could take the same ingredients and scale them up to make a full-sized loaf cake. It worked really well and it was so easy to make. You don’t need a mixer and the cake comes out very rich with a tender crumb.
How to Make a 3-Ingredient Cake
What makes this cake so easy is ice cream. Yes, premium ice cream that you melt and mix into the batter. The ice cream already has the chocolate, eggs, and dairy you need for a cake so it works perfectly.
All you do is mix together the melted ice cream with cake flour and baking powder.
I made loaf cakes using my disposable loaf pans* that I get on Amazon. They look nice, are great for gifts, and you can toss them when you’re done.
The cakes only need about 25 minutes to bake making this a really great recipe if you’re short on time and need a quick dessert.
The cake is silky soft and intensely chocolate – no one will guess you made it with just three ingredients!
- Make sure you use a full-fat ice cream with a rich flavor for this recipe. Don’t use low-fat or non-fat kinds because your cake won’t turn out right. The recipe depends on the fat from the ice cream which is why you don’t want to use low-fat. The ice cream also flavors the bread so you want to choose ice cream with a rich chocolate flavor.
- You definitely want to use cake flour and not all-purpose flour. All-purpose will make the cake too dense.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups full fat chocolate ice cream or gelato about 1 pint (see note)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare and spray with oil two 6 x 2.5 loaf pans.
- Heat ice cream in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds until almost fully melted. Pour into large mixing bowl. Add in flour and baking powder. Either by hand or using a stand mixer, mix until no flour lumps remain (use a whisk if mixing by hand). Pour into two loaf pans. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.