These easy stuffed tomatoes are filled with marinara sauce and topped with melted cheese. They are so simple to make and are great as a side dish or light dinner.
As summer winds down, I’m trying to buy and eat as much fresh produce as possible. Summer is my favorite season and every year I try to savor it as much as possible, but it just seems to slip away so fast. I can’t believe it’s already the end of August.
So, when I saw some beautiful tomatoes on the vine this past weekend, I just had to buy them. Normally, I might use them to make my Tomato and Avocado Salad or Caprese Stuffed Avocado, but I decided to stuff and bake them and ended up with these cheesy stuffed tomatoes. You only need three ingredients to make them and they’re a great way to take advantage of summer tomatoes.
There are many things you can use to stuff tomatoes like rice, meat, and other fillings but for these, I wanted to keep it really simple so I just stuffed them with some sauce and cheese. They are easy to make and make a great summer side dish or light dinner.
Ingredients for Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes
- ½ cup premade marinara sauce or try my homemade low carb marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Stuff Tomatoes
The first thing you want to do is hollow out the tomatoes. I like to slice off the top of the tomatoes and then scoop out the seeds and flesh from the inside of the tomatoes.
Place one to two tablespoons of the marinara sauce inside the hollowed-out tomatoes. I like to fill them almost to the top with sauce.
Top the tomatoes with the shredded cheese and place them on a baking sheet.
Bake the Tomatoes
Bake the tomatoes on the top rack for about 10 minutes at 350°F or until the tomatoes are warmed through, but still firm, and the cheese is melted.
I like to serve the stuffed tomatoes while they’re warm. They are a little messy from the tomato juices, but are so delicious and such a simple dish to prepare.
Baked Cheesy Tomatoes
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pre-made marinara sauce or try my low carb marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice tops of tomatoes off, about 1/4 of the way down. Hollow out middle, removing all seeds. Add 1-2 heaping tbsp of marinara sauce into each tomato until it is close to reaching the brim. Add mozzarella on top.
- Bake about 10 minutes on top oven shelf until cheese is melted and tomatoes are cooked but still firm. Turn heat to 375°F and bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese begins to bubble and brown. Eat immediately.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.