This tomato and avocado salad is easy to make and is full of fresh summer flavors. The salad only takes a few minutes to make and is a great side dish for BBQs and potlucks.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite summer salads. Sometimes simple is best and while this salad may seem almost too simple with only a handful of ingredients, it is very flavorful and tasty. I could easily finish the entire thing by myself.
This salad is inspired by all the colorful and different varieties of tomatoes I see during summer. I wish I could say these tomatoes came from my garden but, unfortunately, my tomato harvest was decimated by some naughty birds this year.
If you need an easy side dish for summer BBQs or potlucks, I think you’ll really like this tomato and avocado salad. For even more idea check out my summer recipes round-up post.
What I love about Tomato and Avocado Salad
- It’s a delicious way to feature summer-fresh tomatoes in a side dish. Since there’s not much to this salad it’s important to use in-season tomatoes for the best flavor. I prefer small tomatoes like grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes for this recipe.
- The salad has lots of creamy avocados, which I love. The richness of the avocados balances the sweet-acidity of the tomatoes and is such a wonderful combination.
- The salad also has crisp cucumbers that have a nice crunch and add an extra crunchy texture to the salad. I like to use Persian cucumbers because they are crunchier than other varieties.
- Because the salad is really about the fresh tomatoes, avocados and cucumbers I kept the dressing very light and simple. It’s a simple vinaigrette that adds a bit of a tangy flavor that highlights the sweetness of the tomatoes.
- This tomato and avocado salad is so easy to make, which is just what I want during the summer.
- You can make this salad ahead. Chilling it in the refrigerator before serving helps develop the flavors.
Ingredients for Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Cherry tomatoes
- Persian cucumber
- Torn basil leaves
Just halve the tomatoes and cut the avocado and cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
Ingredients for the Dressing
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Pour over the salad and serve.
I love this tomato and avocado salad because it goes with a lot of different main dishes. Here are some ideas:
- Ranch Seasoned Salmon Foil Packets
- BBQ Shrimp Tacos
- Ad Hoc Fried Chicken
- Beer-Battered Fish Tacos
- Grilled Chicken Wings
Tomato Avocado Salad
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 persian cucumber cubed
- 1 large avocado cubed
- Handful of torn basil leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add dressing ingredients. Whisk until dressing is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. I added about 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- In a large bowl, add tomatoes and cucumber. Pour in dressing. Toss tomatoes and cucumber in dressing and then place into fridge. Allow tomatoes and cucumbers to marinate in dressing for at least 15 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in avocados and basil.
- I used a variety of tomatoes to add different flavors and textures but you can just use one type as well.
- Because avocados and basil tend to brown easily, I recommend adding them right before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.