These eggplant pizzas are a bite-sized appetizer or snack that is very easy to make. You only need five ingredients and they are great for parties or game-day get-togethers. Eggplant slices topped with pepperoni, cheese, and sauce is a delicious and healthier way to enjoy pizza.
These eggplant pizzas are a great idea for Super Bowl Sunday if you’re looking to snack on something that is a little healthier. I’ve had fun lately experimenting with ways to enjoy pizza without all the carbs and these mini eggplant pizza bites are a new favorite appetizer. They’re simple to make with just a few ingredients and have all the flavors of pizza without the dough.
I’ve also made pizza stuffed mushrooms before, which I’m thinking I might make again along with these eggplant pizzas. I’m so excited for Super Bowl Sunday!
I used sliced eggplant to make these pizza bites. It has a nice texture when it’s cooked and is sturdy enough to hold the toppings. Plus, eggplant is full of nutrients and fiber so these bites are a healthier way to enjoy the flavor of pizza without all of the carbs from the crust.
I like to use Chinese eggplants for this recipe because they are smaller than a globe eggplant which is the common one found in grocery stores. Chinese eggplants also have thinner skin and fewer seeds than other varieties, so they’re more tender and a little bit sweeter.
How to Make Eggplant Pizza Bites
For the toppings, I used turkey pepperoni, shredded mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, and dried oregano.
- Slice the eggplants into ½” slices.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast them for 10 minutes at 400°F or until they are tender.
- Top each eggplant slice with some sauce, cheese, pepperoni and a sprinkling of oregano. Transfer the baking sheet back to the oven and roast the pizza bites for five minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
- Since I was trying to keep these eggplant pizza bites healthier, I opted to use turkey pepperoni instead of regular pepperoni.
- Because the pizza bites are small, I used a small round cookie cutter to cut out mini turkey pepperonis. I was able to cut four mini pepperonis out of each large one.
- I also garnished my eggplant pizzas with some chopped parsley, but this is optional.
- These pizza bites are small, so you can’t do a lot of different toppings but you can try using different kinds of cheese. Any good melting cheese will work like provolone or cheddar. You could also sprinkle some grated Parmesan over the tops of the pizzas, too.
- 1-2 eggplants cut into slices 1/2 inch thick (see note)
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- tomatao sauce
- turkey pepperoni (see note)
- oregano seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place eggplant rounds on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Roast eggplants for 10 minutes or until tender (if you are using bigger eggplants, you'll probably need a little longer).
- Top with tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni and then oregano. Cook in oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle tops with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
- I used Chinese eggplants which are thinner and smaller.
- To make mini pepperonis use a small round cookie cutter. I cut four mini ones out of each regular one.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.