Paleo Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
A single serving cinnamon roll mug cake that cooks in the microwave. It is also paleo, gluten free and wheat free.
I have been working on creating paleo versions of my favorite mug cakes. One of my all-time favorite mug cakes is my cinnamon roll mug cake. It takes a little extra effort, but I think it is worth it. It tastes like a cinnamon roll in cake form, complete with gooey cinnamon swirls in the cake and icing on top.
This paleo version also starts with a cinnamon flavored cake. I also swirled in some cinnamon sugar so that each bite has an extra pop of cinnamon. It’s then topped with a swirl of dairy free icing.
To keep it paleo, this cinnamon swirl is made with maple syrup and cinnamon. The two are heated together in the microwave so that the cinnamon melts into the syrup. It’s also heated long enough to thicken, so that it can be swirled into the cake.
Because of how wet the paleo cake batter is, I couldn’t quite get the cinnamon swirl to stay solid. It begins to dissolve into the batter upon contact. But it does provide a pop of extra cinnamon with each bite. I also added some of the cinnamon swirl to the top of the cake, to get that gooey cinnamon swirl factor into the cake.
If you have a favorite paleo icing, feel free to use it on this cake.
I made an icing using coconut cream and maple syrup, heating it until it becomes thick and syrupy.
You can also top this with condensed coconut milk.
- Because this is a microwave cake, I provided a microwave method for cooking the cinnamon swirl and icing. However, they can also be made on the stove.
- If you do not have almond flour, you can make this recipe with just coconut flour (2 tbsp coconut flour total and keep the other ingredients the same). However, you can’t make this cake with only almond flour because the almond flour is not able to absorb liquid the way that coconut flour can.
- This cake is best eaten soon after it is made. Microwave cakes generally don’t store well and they tend to get dry over time.
I also have a non-paleo version of my cinnamon roll mug cake here.
NEVER MISS A POST!
Paleo Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- 3 tbsp super fine almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (for a paleo version you will want to make your own baking powder rather than using commercial baking powder)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- In a microwave-safe mug, add all cake ingredients. Mix batter with a small whisk until smooth.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add cinnamon swirl ingredients. Cover with a paper towel and heat at 20 second intervals (stirring in between), until thickened like syrup.
- Swirl half of the syrup into the cake batter. Cook cake in microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds. Spread remaining cinnamon swirl over top of cake.
- The cake can be topped with your favorite icing or condensed coconut milk. If you want to make your own icing, combine icing ingredients, adjusting maple syrup as needed. Cover with a paper towel and heat at 20 second intervals (stirring in between) until thickened like syrup. Pipe into a swirl pattern over surface of cake.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!