Pumpkin Spice Latte Mug Cake
This mug cake has all the flavors of a pumpkin spice latte. In just a few minutes you can have a mini pumpkin spice cake flavored with espresso and topped with whipped cream just like your favorite coffee house drink, but as a single-serving cake!
I’m excited that Starbucks decided to release their pumpkin spice latte early this year. Though since it’s been so warm here, I’ve only been drinking the Frappuccino version. This pumpkin mug cake does a great job in capturing the pumpkin spice latte flavors and also has real pumpkin in it as well, giving the cake a tawny color that makes it look even more like the coffee beverage.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte Mug Cake
How to Choose a Mug
- Like most of my mug cake recipes, you mix all of the ingredients together for this pumpkin cake in a microwave-safe mug. If you are making this cake for the first time, I recommend starting with an oversized mug to ensure the cake has enough room to rise while it cooks.
- The common coffee mug works best. Mugs that are unusually shaped (i.e., square base, tall and narrow) make it difficult for the cake to cook properly.
- You can then replate the cake in a smaller mug for presentation. I usually would replate this cake in an 8 oz mug, though for these particular photos, I actually doubled the recipe because I wanted to use my new oversized mug.
- Once you get an idea of how much the cake rises during cooking, you can adjust to a smaller mug next time.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, fat-free milk, oil, pumpkin spice, espresso powder, and pumpkin puree together using a small whisk. Make sure to whisk until batter is completely smooth.
- Cook the mug cake in the microwave for about one minute and thirty seconds at full power.
- It’s better to let the cake cool for a few minutes and enjoy it while it’s still warm. I like mine topped with whipped cream which adds an extra lightness to the cake.
This Pumpkin Spice Latte Mug Cake recipe, and many other coffee and tea flavored recipes are in my new 5-Minute Mug Cakes book, featuring nearly 100 recipes! (Please note, this is an affiliate link. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).)
- 4 tbsp (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp (25g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) fat-free milk
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- 2 tbsp (30g) canned pumpkin puree
Combine all ingredients in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth.
Cook in the microwave for approximately 1 minute 30 seconds. If cake is not done, heat an additional 15 seconds. Let cake cool a few minutes before eating. Cake is best consumed while still warm or within a few hours of it being cooked.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
This single serving cake will be about the size of a cupcake. For the photos, I doubled the recipe to use my new Fall oversized mug.
Excerpted from 5- Minute Mug Cakes by Jennifer Lee. Copyright © 2014 by Jennifer Lee. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.