These fluffy little donut muffins taste like old-fashioned donuts but are baked instead of fried. They make a perfect treat any time of the day.
These mini donut muffins are one of my favorite recipes and I’ve made them several times. Recently I made a batch for a really fun BBQ and game night party and we served them as a dessert, but they’re also great for breakfast or brunch instead of traditional donuts.
It had been a while since I made them, but they were as delicious as I remembered. They are light, fluffy and they taste like old fashioned donuts but are healthier because they are baked instead of fried.
One-Bowl Donut Muffins
I also love that you only need one bowl to make these muffins. You don’t need a mixer either – you can mix the batter by hand with just a bowl and a spoon. I love it when I don’t have many dishes to clean up after.
Tips for Making Mini Donut Muffins
- I like to combine the sugar and eggs first so they are well combined before the rest of the ingredients.
- The batter is quick and easy. Once it’s mixed you just pour it into the muffin pan.
- I use my mini muffin pan to make small donut muffins, but you can also use a standard muffin pan to make bigger ones. Depending on the size of the muffin molds you will need to increase the cooking time.
- I love the sugar coating and I like to coat them using a large resealable bag. Just pour the sugar into the bag and then place a few muffins in the bag and shake a few times to coat them.
- You can also some cinnamon to the sugar for a cinnamon-sugar coating. Or try adding nutmeg, cloves, or even ground ginger to switch up the flavors.
Are baked donuts healthier?
These mini donuts are made with sugar like regular donuts, so I wouldn’t call them health food. You will save some calories since frying requires a lot of oil that is absorbed in fried donuts. Baked donuts have a lot less oil, which is healthier than fried ones.
I hope you enjoy these mini donut muffins as much as we do. If you want to try some of my other recipes be sure to check out some more of my favorites:
- Baileys Coffee Donut Muffins
- Mini Pumpkin Donut Muffins
- Strawberry Donut Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
You might like to try my chocolate chunk muffins, too.
Mini Sugar Donut Muffins
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- additional 1 cup granulated white sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in remaining ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Fill each mini muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Let muffins cool. Put 1 cup sugar in a Ziploc bag and add a few muffins in at a time, rolling them around until completely coated in sugar. (You can also add 1 tsp cinnamon to the sugar mixture if you want a cinnamon sugar mix)
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.