Truffle Macaroni and Cheese
Truffle cheese is a cost-effective way to experience the luxury of truffles without breaking the bank so I used Trader Joe’s truffle cheese to make a rich and creamy truffle macaroni and cheese. The earthy truffle flavor pairs perfectly with cheese and pasta for a decadent macaroni and cheese dish.
Mr. K loves truffle macaroni and cheese. I mean really loves it. He fawns over any macaroni and cheese that is sprinkled with a little truffle oil or uses some truffle cheese, it’s almost embarrassing. Until now, he’s had to wait until we dine at a restaurant that serves it, but now that I’ve found truffle cheese at Trader Joe’s he’s so excited because we can make truffle mac and cheese at home. I think he’d eat every night if I was willing to make it.
Truffle cheese is cheese flavored with truffles, which are a fungus that grows underground. Raw truffles are a prized ingredient and can be very, very expensive, but products that are infused with truffles are usually much less expensive. You’ll pay more for a block of truffle cheese than a regular block of cheddar cheese, but it’s still a really cost-effective way to dress up a dish with the nutty and earthy flavor of truffles.
There are all kinds of truffle cheese – basically, any kind of cheese can be a truffle cheese so you might see truffle cheddar cheese, brie cheese with truffles, truffle goat cheese and others.
Italian Truffle Cheese is a seasonal item at Trader Joe’s and when I found it last weekend, I snatched up several blocks to use in recipes like this truffle macaroni and cheese. You can also use truffle cheese in lots of other ways. Here are some ideas:
- Use it to top homemade pizza
- Stir it into risotto
- Make truffle grilled cheese sandwiches
- Melt it and serve it as fondue
- Use it to make a creamy pasta sauce
I have to admit that this truffle macaroni and cheese is my favorite way to use it. It’s so creamy, rich and easy to make.
Easy Truffle Mac and Cheese
- I used my truffle cheese to make an easy macaroni and cheese. Since the cheese is so flavorful you don’t need a lot of extra ingredients. I used a combination of truffle cheese and Monterey jack cheese, but you can use all truffle cheese to make it even easier.
- For the pasta, I recommend using either small shells or elbow macaroni. Both pasta shapes hold the cheese sauce really well.
- This is an easy stovetop macaroni and cheese. All you do is boil the pasta, drain it and then add the cheese, evaporated milk and salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted and you have pasta in a creamy sauce.
When I served up the truffle mac and cheese, I was curious to hear his opinion since he’s had so many restaurant versions he’s practically an expert. Usually, when I make him something, he takes a bite and then gives me a verdict.
He didn’t say anything after a few minutes, so I was a little worried. I asked him what he thought of it and he said (with his mouth full) “This is so good.” Then I asked him why he didn’t say anything until I asked, and he told me that he hadn’t had a chance because he’d been stuffing his mouth ever since the first bite. I guess that’s a good thing!
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
It’s probably also good that truffle cheese is only available this time of year otherwise I might not make my other mac and cheese recipes anymore. I have several that I love and readers love, too, so if you’re looking for more ideas be sure to check out these recipes…
- Garlic Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese | This recipe has been pinned over 600,000 times (!) on Pinterest and is by far my most popular mac and cheese recipe. It’s super easy to make and the parmesan cheese and garlic flavor combo is delicious.
- Microwave Macaroni and Cheese in a Mug | Have you seen those single-serving mac and cheese cups at the store? Well, you can skip buying those when you have a craving because it’s really easy to make single-serving macaroni and cheese from scratch with real ingredients. All you need is a mug and a microwave.
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese | Yes, you can make mac and cheese in an instant pot! It’s a really easy way to make it without using the stove or oven.
- Grilled Macaroni and Cheese Sandwich | Inspired by a grilled cheese I had at a food truck these grilled cheese sandwiches are definitely a step up. They’re a fun way to use up leftover macaroni and cheese.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow or shell pasta
- 1 cup shredded truffle cheese I used a combination of the one at Trader Joe's and formaggio al tartufo
- 1 cup shredded white monterey jack cheese you can replace with another white cheese or only use truffle cheese
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Boil pasta until cooked. Drain and return pasta to the stove.
Turn stove to low heat and add in cheese and evaporated milk and stir until cheese is melted and sauce thickens.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Truffle Macaroni and Cheese
Amount Per Serving (0.5 of recipe)
Calories 897 Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 18.85g118%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Vitamin A 800IU16%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
Net Carbs 99g198%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.