These brownie cookie bars are the ultimate cookie dessert bars. The bars combine chocolate chip cookies, Oreos and fudge brownies for a decadent dessert.
I mentioned last week that I wanted to start baking up some cookie bar recipes because they are often under-appreciated. I thought I’d start off big with the ultimate cookie bar otherwise known as a brownie cookie bar.
I love browsing and making cookie recipes, but these cookie bars are probably one of my most decadent. I pretty much made them with all my favorite things. Well, I guess there are a couple more favorite things you could add, and I thought about it, but I didn’t want to go overboard…and they are pretty awesome as is. This cookie bar recipe combines brownies, Oreos and chocolate chip cookies, so you don’t need to choose just one.
The recipe was inspired by Kevin and Amanda and when I saw it I could not stop thinking about it. The bars looked so decadent and rich – I didn’t want to even think about the calorie count. We all deserve a treat sometimes, right?
My version is a little tamer and it’s a really fun dessert to make especially if you can’t decide if you want brownies or cookies. You get both!
- I like to line my 9×13” baking dish with tin foil and then spray it with cooking spray so the bars don’t stick. The tinfoil makes it really easy to get the bars out in one piece when they’re cooled.
- The chocolate chip cookie part of the bar is made from scratch. Once you’ve made it, press it into the bottom of the baking pan so it’s the bottom “crust” of the dessert bar.
- The center of the bars is Oreo cookies. Just press the cookies into the top of the chocolate chip cookie layer.
- The brownie layer is super easy because you use a boxed brownie mix. Just mix it up following the package directions. For extra richness, you will also add hot fudge topping to the brownie batter before you pour it over the Oreos.
- Once the bars are baked, completely cool them before slicing.
If you love cookies and brownies you have to try this recipe. Here are some more dessert bars you might like to try, too.
Ultimate Cookie Bar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 (16-oz) package Double Stuff Oreos
- 1 box brownie mix
- ¼ cup hot fudge topping
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and both sugars together for three to five minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and mix on low until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with tin foil and coat it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the cookie dough in the baking dish and flatten it into an even layer. Top the cookie dough with an even layer of Oreos.
- Make the brownie batter following the instructions on the box. Add the fudge topping and stir to combine. Pour the batter over the Oreos and cookie dough in the pan.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake the bars for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 to 25 minutes longer. Cool the bars completely before slicing and serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.