Monday, June 27, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream

It’s officially summer. I love summer. Summer means warm weather and sunshine. And best of all, summer means lots and lots of ice cream.

While ice cream is an all year round treat for me, in the summer I can eat a ton of it without people questioning me.

Last week I took out my Cuisinart Ice-Cream Maker to make a fresh batch of ice cream. I’ve been wanting to try avocado ice cream for a long time, and with some ripe avocados on hand, I got a chance to do so.

I love the bright green color of this ice cream. It reminds me of matcha green tea powder.

Sweet, rich, and creamy from the avocados, I really loved this ice cream. But then I really love anything avocado, as I previously already mentioned.

I did a search for avocado ice cream recipes and all the ones I looked at needed a custard base. I haven’t yet ventured into making a custard based ice cream. It seems like so much extra work.

Anyhow, I created my own recipe with just heavy cream, sugar and avocado and hoped for the best. I loved it. It was rich and creamy even without the custard base.

Avocado Ice Cream
5.0 from 1 reviews
Author: Kirbie’s Cravings
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Ingredients
  • 3 ripe avocados
  • 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup sugar
Instructions
  1. Scoop out avocado flesh into food processor. Add in heavy cream and sugar and blend until smooth.
  2. Pour into ice cream maker and follow instructions. For my cuisinart, I let it churn 20 minutes.
  3. Serve immediately or freeze.

11 Responses to “Avocado Ice Cream”

Kirk — June 27, 2011 @ 6:08 am

Nice job Kirbie…. now I’m waiting for the Durian ice cream! ;o)

• Kirbie replied: — June 27th, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Hmm…I’m not sure about that one. I usually love all fruits, but durian is one I haven’t quite learned to love yet. Plus I don’t know if my family would let me bring one into the house with that smell. haha.

Kristin — June 27, 2011 @ 11:16 am

Yum! Ever since I saw Alton Brown make this on tv I’ve wanted to try it! Looks so good…

• Kirbie replied: — June 27th, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Oh I didn’t even see Alton Brown’s version. Now I will need to find it.

twofoodiesonejourney — June 27, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

You should try custard based ice cream – it’s really one of the key steps to go from good to great ice cream. Even with Philadelphia-style ice cream I would recommend aging overnight in the fridge before putting in the ice cream maker. It helps to bring out the flavors better in both ice cream styles (not much different to eating a stew on the next day).

• Kirbie replied: — June 27th, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Thanks for the tips. I know custard based is probably a lot better; I just hate having to do stuff with the egg yolks. I’ve avoided it so far, but I’ll eventually venture forth.

Eat. Travel. Eat! — June 28, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I’m not surprised that it’s creamy; after all you have both cream and avocado together of which both are very smooth! :) For a class we made ice cream with half/half as well as a combo of half/half and milk, the half/half resulted in ice cream that was like soft serve while the combination resulted in an icier, rougher texture.

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

I’ve used half and half when I don’t have heavy cream, but I definitely notice a difference.

Carolyn — August 18, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Hello,

I am doing an end of summer ice cream round up on my own blog and would love to include this recipe. I would use one of your images, and link back to you, but I wouldn’t be posting the recipe directly. If you would like to be a part of it, please email me at carketch29 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Thanks,
    Carolyn

jen — April 24, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

i used a slightly different mix and it came out great, too!

2 avocados
    1.5 c cream
    1 c whole milk
    3/4 c sugar

would be good garnished with mint!

• Kirbie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Sounds delicious.