I found a new love. It doens’t have zero calories and it’s probably not very healthy for me, but it is delicious.  (I had the Truvia sweetener commercial jingle stuck on my head, hence the babble about zero calories).

I confess, I’ve never loved eating oreos by themselves. I know I’m in the minority. But I love, love cookies and cream desserts. Cookies and cream ice cream, cookies and cream ice cream cake,  oreo cupcakes with cookies and cream frosting, are just some of my favorite cookies and cream creations.

And now I add these cookies and cream cookies to my list. I had been thinking of trying my hand at creating a cookies and cream cookie for a while. Before I got a chance to try it, I saw this recipe on Sing For Your Supper, and just had to try it out.

These cookies came out even better than I had imagined. Like cookies n’ cream ice cream–except in a cookie form. The recipe was pretty easy to follow. I did some minor tweaks with the ingredients and also some tweaks with the method of mixing these cookies. I wanted the oreos to be really spread into the batter so instead of just stirring them in, I crushed the cookies pretty finely and then used the stand mixer to incorporate it and mix it into the dough. As a result, my cookies didn’t spread out as much, but the cookies and cream is very well incorporated all throughout the cookie. They also look a lot darker since the chocolate cookie crumbs are mixed thoroughly into the dough.

They came out looking more like cookies and cream drop cookies, but the taste was amazing: soft, sweet, creamy, chocolate cookie chunks. I couldn’t stop eating these.

: Cookies and Cream cookies

: Slightly adapted from Sing For Your Supper

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup crushed Oreos
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. In a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugars, salt, vanilla, baking soda, and baking powder until well combined. Add the egg, beating until smooth.
  2. Add the flour and milk and mix until smooth. Put about one cup of oreos in a plastic bag and crush them using a meat tenderizer or a cleaver. I crushed mine to the point where there were still some big chunks, but also most of it was smaller crumbs. Pour the crushed oreos into the dough mixture and mix again until oreos are thoroughly incorporated.
  3. Shape cookie dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter and place them on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. If you want the cookies to spread more, you might want to flatten the balls with the palm of your hands before baking.
  4. Bake the cookies for 11 to 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown at the bottom.
  5. Remove from the oven, and move cookies to cookie rack to finish cooling.

15 Responses to “Cookies and Cream cookies”

1. The Teenage Taste — June 2, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Cookies and cream cookies?! Yum!
    Approximately how many cookies did this make for you?

• Kirbie replied: — June 3rd, 2011 @ 1:05 am

I made a little over a dozen cookies with this recipe. I don’t remember the exact number but it was about 16 I think.

2. Sandy — June 3, 2011 at 7:47 am

Cookies and cream cookies – cute! I used to make a cookies and cream cake where you add crushed oreos to a white cake mix.

• Kirbie replied: — June 3rd, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Oh I still need to try doing that. I wanted to make some sort of cookies and cream cupcakes.

3. Whitney M — June 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

This was an interesting idea and a great tasting cookie! My first batch went a little flat so I added just a bit more flour and refrigerated the dough between baking

4. FN — October 13, 2011 at 7:06 am

May I know how big the cup of Oreos have to be? Thanks! (:

P/S the cookies look so yummy, I drooled over my computer screen!

• Kirbie replied: — October 13th, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Are you asking how much the cookies need to be crushed? It’s sort of up to you how much you want to crush them. I crushed them a lot because I think it makes the cookies have a more creamier texture. But I also still wanted a few oreo chunks acting like chips. I used a meat cleaver and pounded on them until a lot of them were small crumbs, but there are still chocolate pieces the size of chocolate chips.

5. jennhy — October 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I just tried this recipe and it came out fantastic!! Thank you for sharing

• Kirbie replied: — October 15th, 2012 @ 8:29 am

That’s so great to hear!

6. Yii-Huei — October 31, 2012 at 11:47 pm

The pictures look sensational! I’m planning to make one of your oreo cookie recipes soon, and I’m contemplating between this recipe and your other chewy one http://kirbiecravings.com/2012/03/chewy-cookies-and-cream-cookies.html

Which recipe do you like better? What are the differences between this one and the other one?

• Kirbie replied: — November 1st, 2012 @ 8:38 am

I prefer the chewy cookies and cream one http://kirbiecravings.com/2012/03/chewy-cookies-and-cream-cookies.html
      I like the texture better and the flavor. I even brought the chewy ones to a bake sale and they completely sold out before the bake sale was over. The other one is good, but I like the chewy one more. =)

7. Paola — February 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm

My cookie batter is too sticky to roll into balls, is there something I’m doing wrong? I’m following everything exactly as the recipe states! :s

• Kirbie replied: — February 12th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

The cookie batter shouldn’t be that sticky. I think perhaps maybe you have too much liquid in your batter. You might try adding more flour.

8. Cindy — June 20, 2013 at 4:41 am

Just using flour? Not All-purpose flour? I saw your other cookies recipe are using All-purpose flour. :)

• Kirbie replied: — June 20th, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Yes, all purpose flour for this one. Usually when a recipe just says flour, it means all purpose, unless a diff flour is specified since all purpose is the most common