Tuesday, January 3, 2012

30 Second Chocolate Cookies

I did it. I figured out a way to cook a cookie in 30 seconds.

I got the idea after making all these one minute mug cakes. I figured if you can cook a cake in the microwave, why not a cookie? You might not be able to create a cookie that is crunchy on the outside, but you should be able to make a cakey cookie.

So I thought about different cakey cookie recipes I’ve tried in the past to experiment with one, but then I decided to do something even easier. I decided to experiment with cake mix cookies. They are a cinch to put together and if you then cook it in the microwave, you have an almost instant treat.

Usually when you bake cake mix cookies, they will have a crunchier exterior and a chewy soft interior. When these are cooked in the microwave, the cookie is soft and cakey, a little bit chewy. Not the same as the baked version but still really yummy. And you can’t tell that it was cooked in a microwave.

I did come across one hiccup when making these cookies. I haven’t figured how to make more than one at a time in the microwave. One cookie takes about 25-30 seconds in the microwave. If you try to make more at a time, of course you have to increase the cooking time. For the cookies where I tried to cook a few at once, they came out fine at first and stayed soft while warm. But once the cookies cooled, they became hard and brittle from too much time in the microwave.

Even so, I think this recipe is still worthwhile. You can make a few cookies to satisfy your cravings. Then keep the leftover dough in the fridge or freezer for future use. I was pretty excited to come up with this and plan on trying to make some other microwave cookies too.

30 Second Chocolate Cookies

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: 30 sec

Total Time: 5 min 30 sec

1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix
1 cup chocolate chips
halfway in-between 1/3 and 1/2 cup oil
2 eggs

1. Mix together in a large bowl the cake mix, eggs and oil, using large mixing spoon, until dough is smooth. Then stir in chocolate chips.

2. Take a chunk of cookie dough, rolling between your palms to make 1 inch round ball. Place onto a small piece of parchment paper. Place parchment paper and cookie onto a microwave-safe plate. Microwave single cookie for 25-30 seconds.

3. Repeat with remaining dough until you reach desired amount of cookies needed. Refrigerate or freeze remaining dough for future use. Cookies eaten best when warm.

22 Responses to “30 Second Chocolate Cookies”

Kay — January 4, 2012 @ 6:28 am

I love the idea of super fast and easy cookies!

• Kirbie replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Me too! Though this may be even more dangerous than the one minute choc mug cakes.

caninecologne — January 4, 2012 @ 8:06 am

awesome recipe! 30 seconds, yay! this is also pretty kid friendly and something that i’ll have tc and her friends do in the near future!

• Kirbie replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I was thinking that too. It would be perfect for TC and her friends!

Mary — January 4, 2012 @ 8:12 am

That’s awesome! I would have never thought to make a cookie in the microwave.

• Kirbie replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Uses much less power than turning on the oven. And perfect for making small amounts!

Ann P. — January 4, 2012 @ 11:25 am

I can’t get over how great these quick dessert recipes are! I’ve always been plagued with the conflicting desires of immediate sugar gratification and not making a trip to the grocery store. And here is the answer to my problem! So much for my healthy 2012 new year’s resolution… haha

• Kirbie replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Yeah quick dessert recipes can be dangerous to dieting. But oh so yummy and fun!

Lianne — January 4, 2012 @ 11:50 am

I love that idea. I really like trying my own experiments as well. I can’t wait to see how this one goes! I needed to get rid of that cake mix anyways.

• Kirbie replied: — January 4th, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

I was happy this turned out. Now to experiment with more microwave recipes!

Anna — January 4, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

I wanna try this out…
    If my cake mix recipe calls for 2 eggs, will it be 4 eggs all in all because your recipe calls for 2? Is that the same thing with the oil?
    Thanks for sharing…

• Kirbie replied: — January 5th, 2012 @ 10:58 am

No, you don’t use the eggs and oil from the cake mix recipe. You only use the cake mix itself and then add the oil and eggs in the recipe that I gave.

J — February 5, 2012 @ 11:54 am

what do you think will happen if i used muffin mix? ahah. i accidentally bought it instead of cake.

• Kirbie replied: — February 5th, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

It’s doable but it’s not the same texture. The muffin batter is a little different, so you’ll end up with muffin-like cookies. But you can definitely still make it.

Dana — June 11, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

I’m so happy right now – I live in AZ, where we only like to use the oven MAYBE two months of the year, and I have been eyeballing this chocolate cake mix in my pantry for 2 months. My cravings have been satisfied through these cookies – added a bit of PB because everything is better with peanut butter in my eyes. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — June 12th, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Adding PB sounds like a great idea!

Mira — July 26, 2013 @ 11:51 am

i tried these & they were fabulous! just as my other question can i substitute other cake mix other than chocolate work? btw all your recipes are awesome!!!

• Kirbie replied: — July 27th, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

I havent tried any other ones, but I imagine it should work!

Shaiza — August 17, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

I don’t have chocolate cake mix can I use cookie mix instead

• Kirbie replied: — August 18th, 2013 @ 9:24 am

I’ve never tried it with cookie mix. Sorry.

angela — January 7, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

If you used the whole batter how many cookies would it make?

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 9:51 am