I did it. I figured out a way to cook a cookie in 30 seconds.
I got the idea after making all these one-minute mug cakes. I figured if you can cook a cake in the microwave, why not a cookie? You might not be able to create a cookie that is crunchy on the outside, but you should be able to make a cakey cookie.
So I thought about different cakey cookie recipes I’ve tried in the past to experiment with one, but then I decided to do something even easier. I decided to experiment with cake mix cookies. They are a cinch to put together and if you then cook it in the microwave, you have an almost instant treat.
Usually, when you bake cake mix cookies, they will have a crunchier exterior and a chewy soft interior. When these are cooked in the microwave, the cookie is soft and cakey, a little bit chewy. Not the same as the baked version but still really yummy. And you can’t tell that it was cooked in a microwave.
I did come across one hiccup when making these cookies. I haven’t figured how to make more than one at a time in the microwave. One cookie takes about 25-30 seconds in the microwave. If you try to make more at a time, of course you have to increase the cooking time. For the cookies where I tried to cook a few at once, they came out fine at first and stayed soft while warm. But once the cookies cooled, they became hard and brittle from too much time in the microwave.
Even so, I think this recipe is still worthwhile. You can make a few cookies to satisfy your cravings. Then keep the leftover dough in the fridge or freezer for future use. I was pretty excited to come up with this and plan on trying to make some other microwave cookies too.
If you like this recipe, you might like my Giant Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, too.
30 Second Chocolate Cookies
- 1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- halfway in-between 1/3 and 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- Mix together in a large bowl the cake mix, eggs and oil, using large mixing spoon, until dough is smooth. Then stir in chocolate chips.
- Take a chunk of cookie dough, rolling between your palms to make 1 inch round ball. Place onto a small piece of parchment paper. Place parchment paper and cookie onto a microwave-safe plate. Microwave single cookie for 25-30 seconds.
- Repeat with remaining dough until you reach desired amount of cookies needed. Refrigerate or freeze remaining dough for future use. Cookies eaten best when warm.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.