Yes it’s another microwave mug cake. It’s hard to do anything else with the current heat wave we are having but I’m definitely itching to turn on the oven. Maybe I will have a chance to this weekend as it is supposed to cool down.
I love the color of this cake. Such a bright spring green from the avocado. I previously made an avocado brownie cake which was very chocolatey and fudgy and completely masked the avocado flavor. This time around, I wanted the avocado to shine.
I have to confess, the texture was not as ideal as my other mug cakes. I tried several versions and this was the best I’ve come up with so far. The texture is slightly gummy but the sweet avocado flavor is there and perfect for avocado lovers. I tried adding an egg and that took care of the texture, but caused a very eggy taste in the cake. Because avocado is so mild, I couldn’t figure out a way for it to overpower the egg taste. So this version leaves out the egg, causing the texture to be a little dense and gummy.
Update: Check out my newest version of this cake here!
Avocado Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp mashed avocado close to half of a medium avocado (see note)
- 5 tbsp fat free milk
- Place all of the ingredients in a 10-oz mug and stir until smooth.
- Cook the cake in the microwave for one minute. If your cake isn't quite done, cook it for another 30 seconds or so. Cool the cake for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Please note, 3 tbsp of mashed avocado is not the same as scooping out 3 tbsp of avocado and mashing it. You need to mash your avocado first and then measure out 3 tbsp. I would start with mashing half a medium avocado. To fully mash, you will want to use very ripe avocados making them easier to mash and you want to mash until there are virtually no chunks remaining (otherwise you'll have bits of unsweetened avocado in your cake).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.