Cauliflower replaces macaroni noodles and the creamy cheese sauce is lightened up as well, for this low carb and lighter macaroni and cheese-like dish.
I really love working with cauliflower and this is my latest creation. With the stormy weather we’ve been experiencing in San Diego, I’ve been craving warm comfort dishes like macaroni and cheese. We were warned months in advance of the El Nino storms, but it’s still pretty crazy to see. Flash flood alerts on my phone and even a tornado warning! In the 16 years I’ve lived in San Diego, I don’t recall there ever being a tornado warning issued.
Luckily, I was home for the brunt of today’s storm. It’s not as scary when your indoors, though no matter how old I am, hearing thunder and lightning still freaks me out.
This dish comes together in about 30 minutes. It’s super simple and one I plan on making a lot this month.
Cauliflower "Mac and Cheese"
- 1 head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 cups shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 -1 tbsp hot sauce
- 4-6 tbsp nonfat milk
- Bring a large pot to boil over the stove and add in florets. Cook until just tender. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine cheese, yogurt, mustard, onion and garlic powders, and hot sauce. Stir until sauce becomes uniform and smooth. The sauce will be quite thick. To thin it out, add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, stirring after each addition until sauce is smooth again.
- Add half of the sauce to your cauliflower and stir until cauliflower is coated. Pour remaining sauce on top over cauliflower.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.