Green chocolate chip cookies are fun to make for St. Patrick’s Day or anytime you want a green-themed dessert.
I made some green chocolate chip cookies for St. Patrick’s Day this weekend. These don’t use the standard chocolate chip cookie batter. Instead, I used a chewy sugar cookie recipe as the base so that the green food coloring would come through. Studded with chocolate chips, these look just like chocolate chip cookies.
I got the idea from Babbly, who got the idea from Betty Crocker. I’ve seen the Betty Crocker recipe as well and they use their sugar cookie recipe as a base. I chose to use my own favorite sugar cookie recipe base, added some green food coloring, and some chocolate chips.
During St. Patrick’s Day, there are a lot of mint dessert recipes. I have to confess, I’m not a big mint fan. Other than Andes chocolates, I don’t like mint flavored desserts. But I wanted to make a St. Patrick’s Day dessert, so I made these cookies look like mint chocolate chip cookies with the green food coloring. You can easily make them mint chocolate chip cookies if you wanted by adding some mint chocolate pieces to the batter.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Softened butter
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Green food coloring
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Green Cookies
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in the egg, food coloring, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Make 1” dough balls and roll them in your hand to create a smooth ball. Lightly flatten them when you place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes at 375°F for 10 minutes or until they are golden around the edges.
I love how festive these turned out. They have a nice vibrant green that’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. They also taste great, too. I’ll definitely make them again.
More Green Desserts
Green Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops of green food coloring
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, food coloring and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into balls about one inch in diameter and flatten slightly to create round discs, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden around the edges.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.