This garlic bread bowl is filled with ground meat, tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese, for a delicious and fun dip. A few months ago, I came across this video for a Lasagna Garlic Bread Bowl. It looked absolutely amazing. The recipe basically turned a bread bowl into garlic bread, and then made lasagna inside it, filling it with meat, sauce, lasagna noodles and cheese. I knew I had to try making a version soon. The lasagna noodles plus bread seemed a little too heavy, so I made my version without the lasagna noodles. Instead, mine is more of a lasagna dip. I also made additional garlic bread cubes with the bread I carved out of the bowl, so that you can dip the garlic bread into lasagna bowl. The house smelled so wonderful when this was baking in the oven. And it tasted great too. Garlic bread should be topped with tomatoes, meat and cheese more often.
Lasagna Garlic Bread Bowl Dip
- 6 oz sourdough bread bowl
- 4 oz ground beef (see note)
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped white onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- Slice off the top of the bread bowl, about 1 inch down from the top. Hollow the inside of the bread bowl, leaving about 1/2 inch around the sides and bottom. Slice the bread bowl lid and hollowed out bread portions into large rectangles to be used for dipping later.
- In a small bowl, add garlic, olive oil, and butter. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute (make sure to cover bowl before heating) until the garlic is cooked and garlic flavor is infused with the oils. Brush the insides of the garlic bread bowl with the garlic butter mixture. Brush the surface of the bread rectangles with garlic as well. Sprinkle parsley over buttered surfaces.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat on the stove top, cook ground beef (or turkey) and onions. Stir in half of the tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bread bowl onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Add a thin layer of cheese inside the bread bowl. Add in half of the meat. Top with half of the remaining tomato sauce. Add another layer of cheese. Add the rest of the meat and then sauce. Add another layer of cheese, covering the entire surface of the bread bowl. Place bread rectangles onto baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Remove bread rectangles from oven. Turn oven to low broil and place bread bowl on a shelf in the lower section of the oven. Broil for about 2-3 minutes or until surface of cheese begins to bubble and blister. Remove from oven. Sprinkle additional parsley for garnish if desired. Serve while hot.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.