A green tea latte is an easy café drink you can make at home. Matcha powder is combined with steamed milk to make a frothy latte that is less expensive than getting one at a coffee shop.
I really enjoy matcha green tea lattes and order them often at cafes but until recently I’ve never tried making my own at home. I’ve baked with matcha quite a bit and I love the color and flavor it imparts to things like cakes and cookies.
Green tea lattes are pricey when you order them in restaurants so I thought I would try making my own. In order to create the frothy milk it helps to have a milk frother* or if you have an espresso machine you can use the one attached to it.
- Matcha green tea powder*
- Hot water
How to Make a Green Tea Latte
First, you want to dissolve the matcha powder in the hot water. This will create a paste that will be easier to incorporate into the hot milk.
Pour the steamed milk into a mug. Add the matcha paste and stir until combined. Scoop some of the milk froth on top of the latte.
That’s all you have to do – it’s pretty easy and it tasted pretty good. I’ll probably still order them when I’m out but it’s nice to know I can make them at home, too.
More Matcha Recipes
Since sharing this post I’ve made lots of other recipes using matcha powder so be sure to check out these recipes, too.
- If you like iced drinks you might like to try my iced matcha latte.
- I love baking with green tea and my Matcha Cookies with Mochi are a colorful sweet treat.
- Matcha green tea flavored jello is topped with sweetened condensed milk for a light and refreshing dessert.
- I love a matcha smoothie when I need a healthy afternoon boost.
- For even more ideas be sure to check out my post all about baking with matcha powder.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Green Tea Latte
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 2 ounces hot water
- 6 ounces steamed 2% milk
- Combine the green tea powder with the hot water in a small bowl. You want the powder to dissolve and create a paste.
- Pour thesteamed milk into a mug. Add the matcha paste and stir to combine. Scoop someof the frothed milk on top and serve.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.