Mini baked donuts made with fresh strawberries and topped with chocolate ganache. These strawberry donuts are an easy one-bowl recipe.
I love baked sugar donuts. They are light, addicting and easy to make. Any recipe that requires only one bowl and a whisk is a keeper in my opinion.
I think one of the best purchases I’ve made are my two mini donut pans*. I use them all the time because I love mini donuts because they’re just so cute.
I had bought some juicy, sweet strawberries at the store because they were so beautiful and the color was so red it was hard to remember that it’s not even strawberry season. I didn’t have a plan of them, but this weekend I decided to make more baked donuts and thought strawberry ones would be delicious.
I didn’t overthink it and just chopped some up and mixed them into the batter. Although, next time I might puree some and mix it into the batter, too.
I love that you can see the bright red strawberries peeking out of the donuts. Since chocolate and strawberries go so well together, I frosted them with a quick ganache. These strawberry donuts came out cute as a button and tasty too.
Tips for Making Strawberry Donuts
- Be sure to cut your strawberries into small cubes. I like to use fresh strawberries, but you can also use frozen ones but you will need to thaw them first and drain off the excess liquid.
- You can mix all of the ingredients in one bowl and then fold the chopped strawberries in at the end.
- I like to fill the mini donut molds about 2/3 full of batter since the donuts will puff up as they bake.
- To get the donuts out of the pan, I like to use a small spatula to loosen them around the edges before removing them.
- Cool the strawberry donuts completely before frosting them.
Chocolate ganache is very easy to make. All you do is heat cream and then pour it over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the ganache is smooth.
More Recipes with Chocolate and Strawberries
I really like the combination of chocolate and strawberry and I have some other recipes you might like to try, too.
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Strawberry Nutella Chocolate Cups
- Nutella Stuffed Strawberries
- Kit Kat Cake with Apricot Glazed Strawberries
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Mini Baked Strawberry Sugar Donuts
For the Donuts
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup strawberries cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
Make the Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a mini donut pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg with a whisk until combined. Add in flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined.
- Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk again until no lumps remain. Stir in the strawberries.
- Fill mini donut pan with batter, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes for mini donuts, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Use a small spatula and loosen around the circle of the donut to help ease the removal from the pan. Frost when cooled.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
- Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
- Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
- Let ganache cool for a few minutes before drizzling donuts with glaze or simply dipping the tops of the donuts in chocolate ganache
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.