One of the things I find so fascinating about chocolate chip cookies is that even though each recipe requires the same basic ingredients, a different ratio of the ingredients and slight tweaks in the recipe can create such a different taste. With other recipes, I don’t often taste the different variations of similar recipes, but with chocolate chip cookies, a few slight variations can make such a difference.
A few months ago, I tried a Nutella chocolate chip cookie that I absolutely loved. Since then I’ve been playing around with the recipe, trying to achieve my ultimate recipe. This weekend, playing around with the ratios led me to a soft and chewy version of these cookies.
The cookies were puffy, but were also soft and chewy. And they remained chewy for days due to the layer of Nutella nestled inside. I decorated the tops with Nestle swirl chips. A few years ago, I found these swirl chips and completely fell in love with them. I loved the color. And then they took them away! I don’t know why. Apparently, they weren’t selling well. I was devastated. I used the swirl chips for all my chocolate chip cookie recipes and couldn’t believe they were gone. (They also came out with green and red ones for Christmas, which also got discontinued.)
Recently, in an attempt to search for them again in the hopes Nestle would bring them back, I found out that Nestle has come back out with the regular swirl chocolate chips. But they are hard to get. I couldn’t find them at my local grocery stores, and using the store finder on the Nestle website, the nearest location that carried them was more than half an hour away and they were out of stuck. Luckily, Amazon carries them. Unfortunately, they are in bulk. So I had to buy more than I wanted to, but I’d rather have more of these than none at all. I’ll just have to bake more chocolate chip cookies. =)
I prefer a more crunchy outside with a chewy inside, so these weren’t ideal for me. I like soft and chewy as well, and these make a great soft and chewy cookie, but I’ll continue to play around with this recipe.
Soft and Chewy Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Nutella
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter, the sugar and the brown sugar. Add the eggs and the vanilla until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture until the mixture is combined.
- Mix in the nutella until it is combined with the dough. Then add in the chocolate chips. If you are working with swirl chips, I usually mix in 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips into the batter and then save the swirl chips to put on top of the dough once I scoop the dough balls onto the parchment paper.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop dough balls onto cookie sheets. I usually smooth them into round balls in my palm before placing them on the cookie sheet and flatten the balls slightly. Bake for approximately 8 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.