- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp distilled vinegar
- 2 tbsp powdered buttermilk found in the baking aisle
- 2 tsp red food coloring or more as needed to reach desired redness
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in remaining ingredients and mix on low speed until incorporated. Switch to medium-high speed until smooth dough forms. Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
Make ping pong sized dough balls and place on baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Repeat until all of the dough is used up. Place 4-5 chocolate chips to the surface of each dough ball. Using the palm of your hand, slightly flatten each ball so that it becomes a thick round disk. Bake for 9-10 minutes until cookies are just set.
Cool the cookies directly on the baking sheets. This will give them time to firm up. If you try to remove them right away they will fall apart.