Russian tea cakes made with match green tea are a twist on the classic cookies. These cookies melt in your mouth and are very easy to make.
One thing I really enjoy doing is taking a classic recipe and giving it a matcha green tea twist. So, after making pecan Russian tea cakes and hazelnut Russian teacakes, I decided to try one more variation. A green version!
These cookies are made with nuts and this time I went with almonds. They are really easy to make and the matcha powder gives them a unique flavor. Plus, the color is perfect for the holiday season.
- Butter – let it soften first.
- Confectioners’ sugar – you will need this for the dough and for rolling the cookies.
- All-purpose flour
- Chopped almonds – I chopped mine in the food processor.
- Matcha green tea powder*
How to Make the Cookies
Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and matcha powder. Add the mixture to the butter and mix just until blended. Mix in the chopped nuts.
I like to roll the dough into ¾” balls. If they are bigger they tend to spread more. Place them two inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 12 minutes at 350°F. Cool the cookies and then roll them in confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Store your matcha Russian tea cakes in an airtight container and they will keep well for several days. They didn’t last long at our house, though. Everyone loved them! I will definitely make these again.
If you want to learn more about baking with matcha green tea, I wrote a whole post about the best matcha powder to use, plus lots of recipe ideas. Or, try some of these ideas:
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Green Tea Almond Russian Tea Cakes
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped almonds I put mine through my food processor
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- confectioners' sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour and matcha powder; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped almonds.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls (I made my balls slightly smaller, about 3/4 of an inch, because they seemed to spread and flatten when 1 inch). Place them 2-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Roll the cookies in a bowl of confectioners' sugar once they are cooled.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.