Blueberry Mug Cake
This simple fluffy cake is not overly sweet and is bursting with fresh blueberries. It works for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or any other time of the day.
Today I got to experience the thrill of actually making a recipe from my book. I’ve been so caught up in the excitement of being a cookbook author that I never really thought of much beyond that, like the fact that being a cookbook author means that one day I will be in the kitchen making a recipe, and it will be my cookbook opened for reference!
I had a craving for something sweet and simple and I thought of my blueberry mug cake. I went on my blog to find the recipe and was surprised that I’ve actually never shared it before. So then I started to pull out my book draft, when it suddenly dawned on me that I no longer need to do so because I already have the physical copy. You can imagine my excitement.
Also you see that dusting of powdered sugar on the picture page? The photo is so sharp that I actually thought I had gotten flour on my new book and attempted to wipe it off. Silly me!
This recipe actually took me a long time to perfect. Getting a white cake base that doesn’t tasty eggy, oily or rubbery was really quite frustrating. But I’m really thrilled with the result and I hope you are too.
What is especially great is that it really works for almost any seasonal fresh fruit. I mentioned earlier that the book offers a lot of alternative variations and this is the perfect example. I wasn’t going to be redundant and make a mango cake, a strawberry cake, and a blueberry cake all with basically the same base and just swapping out the fruit. So I chose one, but there is a nice little cloud note that let’s you know you can swap out the blueberries for other fruit variations.
This blueberry cake isn’t too sweet on its own, making it a yummy breakfast too. Speaking of breakfast treats, I’m so happy the weekend is around the corner!
As a quick reminder, here is list of online retailers where you can purchase my book!
Blueberry Mug Cake
This is a simply, not overly sweet cake studded with fresh blueberries.
- 4 tbsp (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45ml) fat-free milk
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 blueberries
- Combine all ingredients except blueberries in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth. Stir in blueberries (Make sure you stir these into the batter. If you leave them on top they might burst open onto your microwave).
- Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. If cake is not done, heat an additional 15 seconds. Let cake cool a few minutes before eating. Cake is best consumed while still warm or within a few hours of it being cooked.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!