This creamy avocado dressing with fresh cilantro is ready in about 5 minutes and pairs well with a lot of foods. It’s refreshing, healthy and my go-to summer dressing.
We’ve been making our own homemade salad dressings since the beginning of this year like my Caesar Salad Dressing, which is one of our favorites. But for the last few weeks, I’ve been making this avocado dressing.
Since I almost always have avocados in my fridge and cilantro in my garden during the summer, this is the perfect summer dressing that I can quickly whip up whenever I need it.
Type of Avocado
I recommend using a Hass avocado for this dressing because the flesh is really creamy and buttery. Plus, Hass avocados are season from late spring through mid-fall, which is my favorite time of year to make this dressing.
How to Make Avocado Dressing
- The easiest way to make this dressing is with a food processor*.
- Peel and remove the pit from one large avocado and place the flesh in the food processor.
- Add one cup of chopped fresh cilantro. I love the flavor with the avocado, but you can also substitute other herbs like parsley or chives which will change the flavor of the dressing, but still add a lot of freshness.
- For extra flavor add some garlic and onion powder.
- Plain Greek yogurt gives the dressing a tangy flavor.
- Some olive oil helps thin the dressing and adds some richness.
- Fresh lemon juice adds some acid which brightens the flavor of the dressing, but it also helps keep the avocado from turning brown.
- Once you’ve added all of the ingredients to the food processor just process until you have a smooth dressing.
- I like to taste the dressing before I remove it from the food processor. Depending on your tastes you might want to adjust the seasonings, herbs, and yogurt. If your dressing is a little too thick you can add a few tablespoons of water to thin it.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Avocado Dressing with Cilantro
- 1 large Haas avocado peeled and pitted (see note)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems (see note)
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- juice of one lemon
- Add all ingredients into a food processor. I recommend starting with 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and juice of half of a lemon. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust as needed, adding more yogurt, garlic powder and lemon juice to taste. If you want a thinner consistency, add a little bit of water as well. Dressing can be stored in fridge 1-2 days.
- A food processor* makes it so easy to make this dressing.
- I recommend using a Hass avocado for this dressing because the flesh is really creamy and buttery.
- I love the flavor of cilantro, but you can also substitute other herbs like parsley or chives which will change the flavor of the dressing, but still add a lot of freshness.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.